It has been several months since I last posted about the Personal MBA and a few of the books that I purchased and started reading. One of the books I talked about in this post Update To MBA Or Not To MBA was about the book “What Got You Here Won’t Get You There”.
No I haven’t completely read it – but I won’t make excuses. However I did go over the chapter “The Twenty Habits” (chapter 4) in the book. Here are the 20-habits, and over the next few days I’ll give you my interpretation of these habits and how you can avoid making some mistakes.
- Winning too much.
- Adding too much value.
- Passing judgement.
- Making destructive comments.
- Starting with “No”, “But”, or “However”.
- Telling the world how smart we are.
- Speaking when angry.
- Negativity – or “Let me explain why that won’t work”.
- Witholding information.
- Failing to give proper recognition.
- Claiming credit that we don’t deserve.
- Making excuses.
- Clinging to the past.
- Playing favorites.
- Refusing to express regret.
- Not listening.
- Failing to express gratitude.
- Punishing the messenger.
- Passing the buck.
- An excessive neet to be “me”.
I’m sure you can add a few more to this list – but this is one of the best parts of the book and I’d like to share with you my take on each of these 20 points and how we can improve ourselves so that if we catch ourselves committing one of these fatal acts, we can correct ourselves.